The following is an amalgamation of entries from All Saints Church and The Footpath for convenience.
The original War Memorials.
The memorial to the fallen in the First World War
sited and still in All Saints church.
The original memorial in the Memorial Playing Field to the fallen in the Second World War.
Below are pictures of the dedication service of the War Memorial, to those who fell in the 1939-45 war, which was carried out on the 1st.August 1948.
The service was conducted by Archdeacon T. J. Perowne and the Rev. H. W. Thompson. Click here for Dedication Service.
An oak cross in the garden bears a tablet inscribed with the names of those parishioners who fell and was made by Mr.Frank Taylor,of The Forge, whose son, Guy, was among the fallen.
A complete history of all nine men can be seen at the community centre or click here.
For some family notes about Alfred Pleasants click here.
For an account of the sinking of the P.O.W. ship, the 'Lisbon Maru' click here.
The next day, 2nd.August 1948, the Playing Field was opened at 2.30pm. by Mr. W. H. H. Middleton, chairman of the Forehoe and Henstead Rural District Council, with a fete, sports and horticultural show, followed at 8.30 by a dance in the Village Hall.
The Nissen hut ,which was used as a changing room for the sports teams , was demolished in 1971 and replaced with the current Pavilion.
(Pic's .Gladys Spalding and Mary Mallett).
Two carved oak tablets were placed in the Lychgate at All Saints church, one each side.
The two war memorials which were removed from the Lychgate and placed in the church for safe keeping. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
The two oak tablets in the porch of All Saints 2016. (Pic's Mike Fordham).
The memorial in the Leisure Garden in November 2014 and 2015. At this point, due to constant repair, nothing of the original remained.
( Pic's Mike Fordham.)
The last Remembrance Sunday service at the old memorial.
Sunday 8th. November 2015.
The new War Memorial.
Sited in The Leisure Garden and now to be known as The Memorial Garden
The new memorial incorporating the names from both WW1 and WW2.
Overall view of the renamed Memorial Garden. November 2016. (Pic.'s Richard Gooderham).
The new information board. (Pic. Roger Bear).
November 11th. 2018. 100th. anniversary of WW1 ending.
Aerial view of the Memorial Garden, formally the Leisure Garden.
A water colour by C.Morris 1990. (Pic. K. Froud).
The pond in 1908.