The Street to the Fiveways Roundabout
As it was.
Construction of the "Emergency" Road, leading from the development on the west side of The Street to the B1332.
The old bus shelter. demolished November 2016. (Pic's R.Gooderham)
Finished Summer 2014
The new bus shelter
Finished street scene. June 2018.
Oak Farm bungalow 1974.
(Pic. Doreen Howlett).
Oak Farm barn and bungalow as it stood in 2009 located at 38 and 40 The Street.
Oak Farm bungalow also gets a face lift September 2017. (Pic's R.Gooderham ).
Progress as at January 2018. (Pic's R.Gooderham).
Oak Farm barns from the south side 1960.
Barn conversion in progress October 2016. (Pic. R.Gooderham)
February 2017. (Pic's. R.Gooderham).
August 2017. South side.
36 The Street as it was in 1958. Depicts "Dads Gate". At the front door is Fred and Gladys Parker.
Fred built the bungalow and made the gate.The gate remains with a member of the family. (Pic.Ivy Kirkby neé Parker).
1935. Gladys Parker and family at the front door.
L- R; Mrs. Gladys Parker, Alan Parker, Stanley Smy, Ivy Parker, Ronnie Parker, and Roy Parker. (Pic.Ivy Kirkby).
The Smy family when they lived in Thorpe near Norwich in 1913. L-R;- Reginald, James, George, Sidney, Sarah, Freddie and Gladys. They moved into the bungalow next door to the Parkers. Gladys married Fred Parker (Pic.Pam Smy)
34 on the right & 36 The Street, in 1987, before the right hand side was demolished.
The Parkers lived on the left and the Smys lived on the right. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
The asbestos bungalow as it stood in 2008. The bungalow had been empty for some 20 years.
The rear view before demolition March 2015.
The scene after demolition March 2015. (Pic's R.Gooderham).
This frontage to the Street now finished Sept.2015 (Pic. R. Gooderham).
Looking between 36 and 42 The Street at the development behind. Jan 2016. (Pic's. R.Gooderham)
33 The Street,the bungalow on the left, was demolished in 2006 and replaced with a chalet. (Pic.R.Gooderham).
35 The Street suffered severe fire damage 25 January 2017. (Pic's Mike Fordham & Richard Gooderham).
The site cleared for the two bungalows to be built here. Oct 2018. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
Building starts on new property Sept.2019.
The second bungalow takes shape.
The scene looking up The Street towards the old Police House. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
The police house would have looked like this in 1937 when it was built. The houses were known as "Van Neck" houses , named after the Chief Constable of that time.(Pic. Norfolk Constabulary).
As it looks in 2012, now a private dwelling.(Pic. R.Gooderham).
Romany Walk. Formally a meadow where Gypsy caravans stood during the late 1930's. The bungalow was a Fish & Chip shop during that time into the 1950's. Hilda Brooks and later Mr. Campling were the owners. It then became a Florist before a Dental Practice. (Pic.R.Gooderham)
Spaldings shop in 1954. Mr.Richard Spalding (senior) at the door. (Pic.Gladys Spalding).
This picture was taken in the early 1970's before it was closed.(Pic.Gladys Spalding)
Extended over the years it is now the Poringland Insurance office and Chemist.See below.
Bungalow at 14 The Street. Russell Taylor and then Audrey Chaplin lived here. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
Demolished in 2007 to make way for two houses, as seen in the picture below. (Pic.Mike Fordham).
Strictly in Framingham Earl this short section of The Street is shown before the cycle path was constructed in the summer of 2009.
(Pic. Richard Gooderham).
Winter 1971. Looking down The Street . (Pic.Mrs.Elvin).
Winter 2001. Looking towards Woolnough & Cogmans and Elvins Garage. (Pic.Mike Fordham).
Woolnough and Cogman Builders.
The first workshop is pictured here on the right and the later brick building on the left.
Eddie Cogman (left) and Bertie Woolnough (right) with Billy Tubby in 1927.
Eddie and Bertie were Apprenticed to Taylor's at the Forge in 1922 but both left and formed a partnership in 1934 as general builders.
The first 'big' job was this conservatory on the rear of the house 'Woodhurst' in The Street, Framingham Earl. (Pic.R.Gooderham)
The workforce pictured in1955 during a visit to the London Brick Co.H.Q. at Stewartby Beds.
During their peak the firm employed 40 staff. (Pic.John Cogman).
Standing L-R; Don Berrisford, Lesley ????, Stanley Elliot, Jack Timms, John Clarke, Charlie Taylor, Harry Stacey, Reg ????, Mr.Gooch, Billy Workman, Colin Sadler, Tim ????, Victor Clarke, Coach Driver, Ernie Eastell, Ronnie Drake, John Parsley, Cecil Coleman, Mr.Elliott, John Cogman, "Pantry", Bob Haggith, Kenny Lake, Tom Bartram, Peter Wilson, ????, Herbert Wilson, Billy Edmunds, Tony Fairman, John Anderson, David Grice, Charlie Burlingham, Charlie Barwick.
Seated L-R; Stanley Delf, Harry Goodyear, George Bartram, Cecil Anderson, Mr.B.Woolnough, Manager London Brick Co., Mr.E.Cogman, Jack Stackwood, Frank Mutton, Frank Wilson, Maurice Penn, Donny Farrow.
DECEMBER 2013 -- The end of an era. The family firm closes down. John and son Philip outside the workshop December 2013.
Diploma awarded in July 1961 for good house design.
Inside the workshop, normally full to the brim, now being cleared out.
October 2014, and refurbishment is well under way. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
Nearly finished. Jan 2015 (R.Gooderham).
Opened Feb 2015. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
This aerial picture,taken in 1971, shows Elvin's Garage and bungalow in the centre.
Old Mill Road is at the top and the old school is bottom right. (Pic.Mrs.Elvin).
Elvin's Garage in 1961. The steam engine belonged to Tom King. (Pic. Mrs.Elvin).
Elvin's Garage in 1984. (Pic.Mrs.Elvin).
The garage in 1993 when the Fiveways roundabout was under construction. (Pic's Mike Fordham)
The garage in 2011. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
This shelter originally had a thatched roof before being tiled. Built by public donation, a mile of pennies down The Street, and Mrs. Colman paid for the thatched roof.
April 2016 and the bus shelter at The Fiveways is demolished and replaced with the latest design, far right.
(pic.'s Mike Fordham and Richard Gooderham.)