The Street (part) and Carr Lane Corner
Looking down The Street c.1911. On the left is The White Hart, demolished in 1960. The next building, with two chimney pots, is The Homestead. The cottages on the right are still there. (Pic.R.Gooderham).
The scene as was in September 2011. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
The White Hart looking up The Street in 1897 showing, opposite the P.H., the sign and cart shed, and in the distance Carr Lane corner.
Carr Lane corner in 1966, also known as Utting's corner. All buildings were demolished in 1973. Mrs. Alice Smith in the front of picture. She lived in end cottage, round the corner. (Pic.John Hindle).
Carr Lane corner in 2001, (Pic.Mike Fordham).
Carr Lane corner looking down The Street in 1966. (Pic.John Hindle).
The same picture as above but taken in 2010.
(Pic. Mike Fordham).
Below, Saxonfields 2014, site of Utting's Farm. The farm house is still there.
(pic. Mike Fordham.)
Utting's Farm House (112 The Street). March 2015.
This c.1920 working party is clearing sludge from a pond at the rear of Uttings farm, off The Street/Carr Lane. Now residential housing - Saxonfields.
From L-R; Tom Utting, Jack Tubby, Banham Kerrison, Tom Gedge, John Utting, Purity Press. (Pic.R.Gooderham).
1920, The Street, showing Press's Farm on the right. (Pic.Des Taylor).
The small piece of roof on the left is part of the bungalow known as 'Old Mill House', demolished when Windmill Close was developed.
Press's Farmhouse was demolished in 1987 and replaced with two houses (91 The Street) (Pic.John Hindle).
Opposite Press's Farm, now called Windmill Close, is the site of the Poringland Smockmill.
For a detailed history go to www.norfolkmills.co.uk No pictures exist.
The red building was where Billy Press kept his coal lorry, the black building was the stable and the next building the cow parlour.
The next cottages up The Street , pictured in 2014. (Pic.'s R.Gooderham).
The two cottages, centre, pictured in 2008, are the remains of what originally were three. The last cottage was demolished to make way for a bungalow in the late 1940's.
The three cottages were built by William Muskett Wright (Master carpenter ) c.1840. The land had been purchased for £100 at an auction held at the King's Head, Market Place, Norwich on the 10th. June 1809. The previous owner was Sir Roger Kerrison.
The cottages in 2014.
The drive next to these cottages leads to The Farm Managers house which belonged to The Homestead. The white cottage was the local St.John's Ambulance Brigade's H.Q. for many years in the 1970's.
On the meadow opposite these cottages a circus was often held as seen in the next pictures.
The year here is 1981. (Pic's Graham Smith).
The Circus comes to the village again, this time in the spring 2014. Positioned on the same meadow as in 1981 but at the rear of the Community Centre.
Note the name - FERREL- as there were no animals involved in the performances. (Pic,s R.Gooderham, Mike Fordham).
Again in June 2017.