British Legion march 1940
The Dignitaries get ready for the off. The gentleman in the centre of the picture is Dr. Corbett. (all Pics. Gladys Spalding).
The march progresses up The Street and this picture was taken from outside 'The Homestead' now known as Howards Estate Agents. Judging by the number of Standards several local branches took part.
The tall gentleman with bowler hat and furled standard is George Thrower the blacksmith from Pigot Lane. In the picture left of him wearing the trilby is Dr. Corbett. Left again wearing the bowler hat and medals is Col. Smith.
This picture was taken from the Village Hall forecourt. The cottages in the background are still in existence.
Stand outside 30 The Street to see this aspect.
The Rev. Walker accepts the standard from Mr. George Thrower.
The Dedication ceremony took place in the old gravel pit situated at The Fiveways roundabout.
Only three small dells remain as the pit was partially filled during the construction of the roundabout in 1993. Now called 'The Dell'.