As can be seen from the maps below the shape and position were changed during these years.
The Hall c.1889 The Hall c 1906
The gardens, grounds and figures etc. were probably laid out during this period
as the following pictures were taken between 1916 and 1926.
(All these pictures Sheila Wilson)
The Temple looking through to Beech Drive
Beech Drive in the winter.
Orangery Court North Front Garden.
Heath Garden. West Garden
The Rockery The Lake, near Hall Farm
A Mr. J. Brooke then lived here, presumably rented, until it was sold to Mr. John Edwin Moxey in 1916 .
During their occupancy the hall was transformed again.
Map for 1926. The Moxey graves Framingham Pigot Church 1928.
Mr. John Edwin Moxey, his wife Louisa and family.
A shooting party on the estate Chauffeur Sydney Bacon prepares the table for lunch.
Sydney with the Mercedes Sydney with the Hispano Suiza.
Sydney with the Daimler Sydney out driving the Mercedes
Sydney's day off.
Sydney's driving licence.
Sydney and his wife Anne. c.1909.
Sydney's first driving job in London . 1908 Panhard.
Vera and Anne by the lakes
Sydney, Anne and daughter Vera on left.
Sydney, Anne and Vera centre. Vera on her bike
Mr. & Mrs. Bartle. Mr Bartle was the groom.
Left. Sydney Bacon and Mr. Gordon. Hall Farm
(All Pic's Sheila Wilson)
Right Mr.Cushing Hall Farm.
The Estate was purchased by Geoffrey R. R. Colman in 1929 as a family home for his wife Lettice and his five children.
He was a keen cricketer and represented both Oxford University and Norfolk from 1911 to 1930, apart from the war years.
During the war he served on the western front. A member of the Colman's mustard family he was a director until his death at 'The Chase' on 18th. March 1935.
His wife Lettice continued to live there, with their five children, until her death on 27th. November 1970.
Ena Newman, nanny to the Colman family and the -
- travel clock presented to her on leaving . 1928-33.
James Colman, grandson of Geoffrey and Lettice, now occupies the remaining buildings on site.
The buildings in 2019. (Pic's. R.Gooderham)
The stables and outbuildings now residential. The site of the Hall
North Lodge South Lodge
Aerial view, the old stables in the foreground.
The view looking east, on a clear day you can see the water tower at Caister- on-Sea.
1946/50 map of the site.
Click this link to visit a dedicated site for 'The Chase' Arboretum.
Sir Timothy Colman has been largely responsible for the development
of the arboretum since 1986.The established planting on the estate dates from the
eighteenth century and by 1841 Grigor was commenting on the fine cedars here.
Sadly one has been removed which had a diameter of at least 5 feet.
Sir Timothy had an eye for the future and has planted young cedars to continue the tradition.
Amongst other notable trees a wonderful Picea smithiana, a fine Acer grieum, a Davidia,
a Halesia, Bird cherries, an Acer campbelli, a Wollemia nobillis and many Oaks ,
Horse chestnuts and Rhododendrons.
North Lodge and South Lodge are both shown on the 1905 map. The North Lodge looks unaltered to this day 2019
The South Lodge is shown a lot smaller than at present and looks to have had an extension c. 1910. ( the dormer window section in the picture).
The larger South Lodge is shown on the 1926 map.
1920. The North Lodge on Pigot Lane, 2011.
1984 The South Lodge ,Spur Lane. 2011
Left , Henry and Honour Davey lived in the right hand gatehouse, and above
May and Reuben play outside c.1920. Below newspaper report on son George, involved in accident
in Poringland Street on 24th. December 1925. (Pic's Pam Smy)
1941, and these three sisters, evacuees from London,
spent time in the cottages.
L-R;- Nellie Carrigan, Mary Laming (nee Carrigan) and Ria Carrigan.
(Pic. John Eels).