Village Signs


The sign was given by the Poringland Womens Institute to commemorate their Golden Jubilee in 1970. Designed by their then President and Secretary, Mrs.P.Wilcox and Mrs.M.Scott and made by Hubbard Bros.of Norwich. Unveiled on Saturday 2nd October 1971 at a location near the Church. Roadworks in 1974 meant a relocation to its present site.
The sign represents the artist John Crome, who in 1818 painted a picture entitled the 'Poringland Oak'. The painting depicts a large oak tree by a pond with people bathing, and it is believed that this oak tree is the one situated by the pond in Carr Lane. 



The sign was repainted and replaced 4/11/1993.
The work was carried out by Tommy Picket of London
over a period of 4 weeks.
Villagers, Parish Council members and the W.I. were 
present to see the sign replaced on it's spot on the
Village Green
L - R;  Michael Savage, Mrs. Simpkins, Shirley Shackshaft,
Pat Devlin, Tommy Picket, Caroline Milton, Pip Docwra,
Mary Wilby, Peggy Emms, Mrs. Bean, Jean Waters. 

     New PIC'S       14/3



                                                         Framingham Earl

Designed by Mrs.Sheelah Michalski ,and unveiled on the 28th. February 1976 by the Reverend Eric Cordingly,MBE, Bishop of Thetford. It shows the fine forest of trees planted by the eminent surgeon Dr. Edward Rigby in Framingham Earl. He practiced in Norwich for 53 years and was Mayor in 1805. On his tombstone in the churchyard is written;- 'A monument to Rigby do you seek, on every side the whispering woodland speak'. The fine Saxon - Norman church of Saint Andrew has its ornately carved doorway included.



                  Renovated and unveiled 16th.July 2015.


                                                          Stoke Holy Cross
Designed by Mr.Morris and made by Hubbard Bros. of Norwich in 1989. On the sign is a fortified stone 'stockade' or 'cell' with a gold cross on the front.


                                                       Caistor St. Edmund
Erected in 1954 to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth ll. The sign suggests a Roman Temple from the Roman town of Venta Icenorum and it was believed that Boadicea once had her headquarters there.
It was designed by a Caistor parishioner the celebrated architectural conservation consultant,Sir Bernard Fielden CBE,DUniv.DLit,Hon FAIA,FSA,FRIBA,AADipl Director Emeritus ICCROM. His inspiration was the ruins of Venta Icenorum which are remembered in the sign which is the face of a Roman Temple.
It  was made in wood by Mr. Howard of Trowse and was dedicated by the author John Motrum.
The sign was originally supported on a single oak post three feet into the ground but in 1977, to celebrate the Queen's Silver Jubilee, the sign was mounted on a plinth constructed from bricks and flints from the quarry in the village. This was built by the late Mr.Ewan Price,a secondary school teacher and a parishioner.
Since that time the sign has had a protective sheet lead cover put on top of it and is cared for, preserved and renovated by Mr. Chris Skinner, a farmer, nature conservationist and broadcaster in the parish whose father helped to provide and erect the sign.
There is an old saying - Caistor was a city-when Norwich was none, and Norwich was built of Caistor stone.


                                                         Framingham Pigot