The Village Hall in 2006.
In 1919 land was donated to the village by Mrs. Birkbeck, who lived in The White House in Upgate.
A resolution was passed on the 6th.January 1919 and the Trustees purchased an old army hut from Langley.
An extension to the hall was built in 1939 - "The Mens Club Room".This later extension was collected from Thetford and erected by Frank Taylor. Opening ceremony was performed by the Rev Edwards.
The very small room at the back was used as a Doctors surgery both during and after the Second World War.
See also .poringlandparishcouncil.org.uk/VillageHall (Pic.R.Gooderham).
This wedding picture was taken during the war years of local couple Josh Cooper and Joyce (Eva) Tubby.
The reception being held at the Village Hall.
L-R standing;- Barbara Grice, Mr. Cooper, Sidney Parker, Henry (Ted) Tubby, Daphne Parker.
L-R seated;- Mrs.Cooper, Josh Cooper, Joyce (Eva) Tubby, Florence Tubby.
(Pic.Barbara Brown née Tubby).
Coronation 1953 and Queen for the day was Merle Harris, (Clipping Geoff Balderstone).
seen above with her attendants,left Jean Lake and ,right, Pat Lake.
(Pic. Merle Clark).
Left the parade was led by this band.
The Good Companions met at the Village Hall and below celebrate
an anniversary event 1959. Some of the names L-R;-
Martha Cameron, Mrs.Bligh, Gwen Skedge, Chris Utting, Mrs. Parsley,
Mrs. Blanchflower, Kitty Brown, Reggie Blanchflower, Mrs. Ratcliffe,
Mrs.Goddard, Bill Cameron, Mrs. Lacey, Mrs. Barnes, Mrs. Frost. On holiday at Caister Holiday Camp 1959.
The Good Companions/Mothers Union on a visit to Brooke Church.
Some of the names L-R;- Mrs. Everson,....,Rosie Newson, Mrs. Davidson,
Martha Cameron, Ann Blyth, Mrs. Watts,....., Mrs. Hurren,......,
Eva Spruce, George Sillett, Wilfred Spruce, Minnie Rankin, Gladys Eastell,
Mrs. Smy,......., Gladys Parker, Mrs. Morgan, Mabel Mutton, Margy Pitcher,
Kitty Brown,......,......., Kath Whall, Elsie Skeet,......., Lily Gowing, .....,
Mrs Lea, Fred Lacey, Mrs. Lacey.
These villagers are off to the Tramps Ball at the
Village Hall in 1964. (Pic. Peter Harvey).
L-R ;- Peter Harvey, Nell Harvey, Florence Pullinger, John Pullinger.
Outside the Village Hall in March 1974 and the ocassion is the General Election.
In the centre is the Rev, David Moll with Mrs. Margaret Elsegood and Janet Smith to his left.
(Pic. E.E.N. ).
Local singer Norma Wick, left, and her 'Singers', pictured at the village hall
75th. anniversary. (Pic's. Peter Harvey).
Used as a drop-in meeting room the Village Hall in October 2012.
Pictured here is the Archive Group in the fore ground holding it's October meeting.
(Pic. Mike Fordham).
Pre school class at Village hall celebrate the Queen's 90th. birthday.
10th.June 2016. (Pic's Mike Fordham).
The Footpath is the road leading to the Infant and Junior School and to the Memorial Playing Field.
Seen here before the road was adopted by the local authority. In the picture and ready for school are the Fawcett family, L-R ; Gillian, Alison and Shirley. (Pic.Mrs.Fawcett). c.1962.
The scene , 2015.
This view was taken in 1963 from the bottom of the garden of number 12 The Footpath, looking south.
By 1965 this view was obliterated by the houses in Springfields. Note the landmarks;- A , The gardeners cottage at No.79a The Street and B All Saints Church.
(Pic. Jennifer Thetford).
The dedication of the War Memorial on the 1st.August 1948.
The memorial has been relocated to the leisure garden near All Saints Church. (Pic.Gladys Spalding).
The Nissen hut ,which was used as a changing room for the sports teams , was demolished in 1971 and replaced with the current Pavilion.
This scene in Feb.2015. (Pic. R.Gooderham)
The Memorial. Hand made by Frank Taylor of The Forge. (Pic.Mary Mallett).
See also War Memorial page.
Tug-o-war on the playing field in 1948 - believed to be part of the opening ceremonies.
On the rope, front to back ;- Jack Eastell, Charlie Burrows, Andrew Spruce, Bertie Eastell, Jimmy Wilson.
Bowling for the Pig. c.1960.
L-R;- Ted Pitcher, Lenny Press, William Howlett,
Joe Taylor, Mervyn Taylor.
Karl 'Wimoweh' Denver opens the village fete in 1962. Seen ,left, with Eileen Nolan and Jackie Theobald. On the right Richard Gooderham looks on.
(Pic.'s Jackie Theobald).
Much later, at the village fete in 1965, and on the rope this time is;- F-B Ken Smith, Pat Nolan(3rd), Tommy Greensides(5th). (Pic. Jane Goodyear).
Cycle Speedway on the Memorial Field in 1948. Ready to "go" at the tape, are L-R; Terry Spruce, visitor Bergh Apton, Ally Parker, visitor Bergh Apton. (Pic.Des Taylor).
Another day and Seething are the visitors. L-R; Des Taylor, visitor Seething, and about to part company from his cycle is Ally Parker. (Pic.Des Taylor).
Poringland Cricket Club 1952.
Back Row L-R;- Peter Gooch, Bob Hagon, Lofty Green, Ward, Martin Balderstone, Dennis Cushing.
Front Row;- David Page, Rodney Clark, Geoff Hardesty, Jack Hollis, Kenny Sidell.
See also The White House.
Programme for the Village Fete on Saturday 5th. July 1958.
( G. Balderstone).
Fancy dress at the village Fete c.1958.
The two central figures 'Belisha Beacons' are sisters
Rae & Lynn Howlett.
(Pic. Lynn Gooderham).
The village fete 1965.
The boxer boys are Adrian Harvey and Stephen Pullinger.
( Pic. Peter Harvey).
VILLAGE FETE 1966
Philip & Susan Meazey David & Stephen Pullinger
Young Wives fancy dress L-R;-
Peggy Emms, Sylvia Hardesty, Muriel Dye, Nell Harvey.
Nigel Harrowing (kneeling) with younger
brother Mark. Rodney Pye behind.
Helen Mutton on the left
Left, the Rifle Range, in 1965,was in the far corner of the Memorial Field. Now demolished.
Below the scene in March 2015. (Pic. R. Gooderham)
Members of the Rifle Club 1956.
Back Row;- Mr. Aldridge, Mr. Amies, Peter White, World Masters(Gold) badge awarded to David Cordy,
Front Row;- Brian Buller, David Cordy. with a score of 39 8/10ths. out of 40 bulls.
( All pictures David Cordy).
The entrance to the Playing Field after the storms of 1987.(Pic.Tony Porter).
Built on land at the end of The Footpath this was a quiet day, before the opening in September 1967. (Pic.Mrs.Malt).
The School gates 1982. (Pic.Mike Fordham).
Building work now replaces mobile class rooms that have
been installed over the years. Feb. 2015. (Pic.R.Gooderham).
Class rooms nearing completion April 2015. (Pic.R. Gooderham).
The Staff in 1973; L-R. Supply, Supply, Mrs.Durrant, Mrs.Price, Mr.Ackhurst, Mr.Milne, Mr.Birch, Mrs.Gough-Cotterill.
Front row; Supply, Supply, Mrs.Mills, Mr.Boast, Mrs.Hopkins, Mrs.Malt,
1977 and the School celebrates The Queen's Jubilee with a party in the school grounds. Supervising at this table is Mrs.Malt. (Pic.Mrs.Malt).
Residents of The Footpath celebrate The Queens Jubilee with their own party in the Village Hall. Peter Fawcett helps his mother-in-law cut the cake. (Pic. Les Berwick).
Residents enjoying the occasion.
1978. The P.T.A. Summer Fete.
On the rope are ;- R-L, Martin Waters,David Sherwood, Russel Flatman, Jim Broadbent, David Dowe.
George Waters ,and others , in the ladies netball tournament. (Pic. Jean Waters).
1978. The P.T.A. Summer Fete.
1979 . The pancake race.
1981, Mrs. Malt retires.
The Footpath during the winter of 1987. (Pic.Les Berwick).
Aerial view of The Footpath c.1987. (Pic. Jean Waters).