The Fiveways /Stoke Road signpost, pictured in 1949 when it still had the direction
sign to the RAF camp in Long Road. (Pic. copyright F.Elliott).
Note the building behind the road sign - the old Firestation. (Pic.Derek Bales).
The Radar Site will be covered in Stoke Holy Cross entries.
The 2nd. Fire Station seen from Old Mill Road in 1960. (Pic.Mary Mallett).
Seen from the Fiveways c.1945
Members of the Aux. Fire Service in 1941.
L-R;- Mr.Brooks, Jack Frost, Dick Spalding, Jack Harris, Victor Mann, Geoffrey Fisher. (Pic.Derek Bales).
Two more members,
Len Goddard left, and Bert Aldridge.
Four more members but only two names.
2nd. left Arthur Websdale and Dick Spalding
on the right.
Heath Farm from a painting by Len Pilgrim c.1948.
The barns fell into disrepair and were demolished
to make way for residential development in the 1990's.
Heath Farmhouse, now no.6 Stoke Road in 2015. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
Charles Spruce and his 2nd. wife, Ida (Crocker), who lived at Heath Farm Barbara Norman with "Rags", granddaughter
during the 1930's and early 40's. of Ida and Charles at Heath Farm 1951.
(Pic's Barbara Elwin).
Old Mill Surgery,the former Telephone Exchange, in 1980 before the Building work commences in early 1986.
extensions and revamp. (Pic's the Doctors ).
Finished in the summer of 1987.
Late 1986. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
2012 and the village has out grown the new building. Note the This land , opposite the surgery, has been earmarked for the future
annexe to cope with the extra needs. (Pic. Richard Gooderham). " new" surgery. (PIc. Richard Gooderham).
July 2014 and work starts on the new surgery access. (Pic.R.Gooderham) .
Building work is now complete and the new surgery is ready to open 9th.May 2015.
The Old Surgery takes on a new face. Sept.2015.
Looking down Stoke Road and the cottages on the left are known as Trolla Row.
The large house in the foreground is due to be demolished to make way for the junction of the new road from the developement site west of The Street.
GONE - demolished in Sept 2011.
The site entrance in May 2012. (Pic. Richard Gooderham).
September 2012. (Pic. Richard Gooderham). November 2012. (Pic. Richard Gooderham).
March 2013. (Pic. Richard Gooderham). Finished 19th.April 2013. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
Looking from the roundabout into the new development. April 2013. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
Earliest known picture of Poringland 'High' Mill as it was originally called. Later known as Towermill - see below.
On the back of the picture it says 'Shadow from sails of this mill touched five parishes, Poringland, Stoke Holy Cross, Caistor, Bixley and Framingham Earl.
This picture dated 1890.
Image courtesy of Norfolk County Council - enjoy thousands of images of Norfolks unique history at www.picture.norfolk.gov.uk
Now known as Poringland Towermill built c.1825 to replace an earlier postmill. This view taken from Stoke Road c.1900 and issued as a postcard.
The earliest reference to a school in the area was here in1835. (Pic.A.Postcard).
A comprehensive history can be found at www.norfolkmills.co.uk
A plan of the old Mill site. (Pic.Auction 9th.Sept.1879. Nfk.Record Office MC138/42/1/1-27).
George and Esther Payne (neé Riches) pictured here in 1895. This is Alfred Herrell and his wife Maria (née Payne).
George was employed at Mill c. 1891.Previously they lived She was the elder daughter of George and Esther Payne
in Rectory Lane and had a small holding near the Rectory. and met Alfred when he worked at the Old Mill as a millers
George died in 1898 as the result of an accident, aged 48. carter. They lived in the nearby cottages ,Trolla Row, in
This unique view of the same mill was taken from the south side where Poringland Lakes are at the top of Hillside.
This photograph was possibly taken in 1905 as demolition commenced....some of the sails are missing. (Pic.Andrew Spruce).
The Mill House pictured in 1917. (Pic.Sarah Davies).
The Mill House in August 2011. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
The Mill House as seen from the Lakes at Hillside.May 1973. (Pic. Gail Goodyear).
The old water pump still attached to the house.
(Pic. Mike Fordham).
The house and site 'sold' for residential
developement 2012. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
The building continues. March 2016.
The old 2nd.W.W. 'pill box' situated at the top of Mill Close. The Trigonometrical station in Mill Close. (75 mtrs.)
(Pic. R.Gooderham). (Pic. R.Gooderham).
The Telephone Exchange, situated in Mill Close.(Pic. Mike