Looking down Norwich Road in 1963. (Pic.Judith Sykes).
Complete water main replacement September 2016.
The work would take over 18 months.
Winter scene January 1987.
June 1961 and the view from Greenacre Drive across to Oaklands Farm / Framingham Earl Post Office. In the front garden of No.7 is Marlene Smith with ' Perdy '. (Pic. Marlene Smith).
Looking up Norwich Road.c.1956. (Pic.E.C.N.).
The bungalow, behind the cyclist, is where Mrs.Phipps,
school teacher, lived.
Mrs. Phipps' bungalow in 1993. (Pic. R.Gooderham). Converted to a chalet in 2013.(Pic. R.Gooderham).
Looking up Norwich Road from outside High School gates.1963. (Pic.Judith Sykes).
Looking across Norwich Road from the High School gates in 1963. (Pic.Judith Sykes).
The woodland being cleared from the above site prior to developement. (Pic.Judith Sykes).
School holidays in 1938. Enjoying the weather are these children with mums on the corner of Norwich Road and Caistor Lane.(Pic.Dorothy Howlett).
In the picture are:- Ursula Matthews, Gwen Matthews, Betty Matthews, Daphne Smith, Colin Smith, Margaret Parker, n/k , n/k , Audrey Smith, Dorothy Howlett, Peggy Collyer, Mary Parker, Mrs Daisy Parker, n/k , n/k .
This bungalow was built in 1935 for Mr.Harris and was sold to Huby Spruce who lived there when Octagon Farm (next door) was bombed.
Huby lived there from 1942 to 1949 when he moved over the road to the new farm house. (see Below).
In 1949 it became the home and market garden to John Aldis and family until 1988.
John's grandfather, John, and father ,George, both had market gardens in Framingham Pigot.
John's son David continues the tradition at Church Farm, Framingham Earl.
John retired in 1988 and the bungalow was demolished and the land was sold for residential development.
The Ramblers,2015. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
1963 and approaching Poringland along Norwich Road. Octagon Farm is on the left and strictly in the parish of Bixley. The original farm house was on the right hand side. (Pic.Judith Sykes).
Scene in September 2011. (Pic. M.Fordham).
The next stage for development in this area, opposite Octagon Barn, the signs go up Sept. 2015.
This site is partially in Bixley. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
The barn ,now a retail outlet. September 2011. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
Octagon Farm house,Bixley, was situated on the land opposite the existing farm. The picture shows the house in 1902 with the occupier Mr.John Spruce and son Jack. They lived there until 1937.
"Huby" Spruce then lived there until 9th. May 1942 when the house received a near direct hit from German bombers attacking the Radar pylons at RAF Stoke Holy Cross. Sadly Mrs.Lilian Spruce was killed in the incident.( Pic.Terry Spruce).
The view now,September 2011, from the same spot. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
Octagon Farm house,1902, rear view. The machine in the picture is a shredder/crusher used to shred turnips and mangolds for animal feed. (Pic.Terry Spruce).
c.1910. John Spruce with son Jack, dog and a friend. (Pic.Joan Hodson née Spruce).
1925. Jack Spruce, his wife Annie (née Crowe), and daughter Joan. (Pic Joan Hodson).
1929 John Spruce with grand-daughter Joan. (Pic.Joan Hodson).
1940 Joan with her husband William Hodson. (Pic.Joan Hodson).
The opening ceremony of the new farmhouse in 1949 by Timothy Colman. Huby Spruce is in the front centre. (Pic.Joan Hodson).
Although strictly from Arminghall and Bixley these horses and men would have been a familiar sight to travellers to Norwich.
Left , Charles Goddard (1935), centre Frank Eastell and Fred Goddard (1950), right Fred Goddard (1950).
( Pic's. Lenny Goddard)
Norwich Road, Bixley,on the 15th.Feb 1979. Cars abandoned overnight are released by JCB's working their way from Norwich to Poringland. (Pic.R.Gooderham).