Hillside soon after construction in the early 1930's. Gladys and William Goddard in 1940.
(Pic. David Cordy). (Pic. Lenny Goddard).
Standing at the back of Hillside looking across to the Railway Tavern
are the Cordy children.
L-R ;- John, Thelma, David, Rodney , Peter and cousin Tanya Dickinson.
(Pic. David Cordy).
David and John cutting down an overhanging tree
outside their house in1950. (Pic. David Cordy).
THE LAKES AT HILLSIDE
Behind Hillside are situated the old sand and gravel workings. Pictured here in 1943 are some local lads and girls and personnel from the R.A.F. Stoke Holy Cross radar station using the pits as a bathing area.(Pic.Derek Bales).
Compare this picture with the one below,right, which was taken from the same place in 2010. Notice how the old workings have developed into a conservation site. (Pic.Derek Bales).
The Summer of 1945 and the local children enjoy the cool waters.
In the foreground is David Cordy with centre, Rodney and John Cordy
and Thelma Cordy standing on the platform.
(Pic. David Cordy).
1947. L-R;- Ivy Parker, Roy Parker, Gladys Parker and Betty Parker.
(Pic. Ivy Kikby ).
The scene, left, Dec 2014.
Looking west from Hillside the area looked like this in 1960.
Pictured having a swim is Glen Elwin.
(Pic. Barbara Elwin).
This view March 2014
This scene was taken in 1973. (Pic.Gail Goodyear).
The view in March 2017. (Pic's R.Gooderham).
The following pictures show the site as it is in 2010. ( Pics. M.Fordham and R.Gooderham).
A conservation site managed by local volunteers
Looking south in 2010.
Looking south, as above , but in 2017. (Pic's R.Gooderham)
Aerial view of Hillside and the 'Lakes', taken in March 2010. Also in the picture, extreme right -
centre is the site of the 'Old Mill'. (Pic. copyright Mike Page).
Developers to the west of the Lakes punctured the underlying clay sub soil and the lakes lost some 3 feet of water.
Water levels on 15 September 2012. (Pic's. R.Gooderham).
The developers have tried to plug the 'hole' and have had limited success. Water loss has been stopped but the levels are not as they were,
and are still 2 feet below what they should be . A re-stocking of fish that had to be removed took place on 7th.March 2013. Ray Noble and
Rod Witham hard at work.
The' plugging' of the 'hole' was not successful and on 24th.July 2013 fish were removed to a deeper lake.
The water levels continue to fall. (Pic's Richard Gooderham).
Poringland Lakes now has it's own website. Go to www.poringlandlakes.co.uk
The Lakes were restored and on 12th.June 2015 were officially opened by Philip Makepeace, Norfolk Homes.
Above left, secretary Rod Witham addresses the visitors and, right,
Philip Makepeace plants the oak tree to mark the occasion.
Left, visitors talk to one of the fishermen.