Aerial view looking down Bungay Road with Shotesham Road on the right, 1994. (Pic.L.Fedden).
(Pic. Mike Fordham).
Aerial picture of Church Corner, Jan 2010.
(Pic. copyright Mike Page ).
Winter scene in 1970
The Church Corner 1970.
(Pic. Grace Hogben)
Aerial view of Porch Farm and the old white house
formally the Post Office, 1994.(Pic. L.Fedden).
From Church tower 1998.
Looking towards Porch Farm. Looking towards The Swan , now Zaks diner.
This painting of the Church Corner looking into Rectory Lane is dated 1916. The barn on the right is too far forward and a little out of proportion. However the scene is still recognisable. Entitled "Cottages at Poringland" and by John Stuart Corbett.
At the entrance to Rectory Lane, similar to the painting above. The year was 1972, before the road widening.
(Pic. Mike Fordham).
Below, the scene in 2014. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
This postcard scene is still recognisable and is one of the Jarrold series dated 1920. The only buildings remaining are the white house on the right and the cottages in the distance on the left of The Street. The house on the right was The Post Office run by Mrs.Hannah Taylor. Her husband,Henry, was the blacksmith in the forge next door. The vehicle in the background is believed to be Lenny Press's coal lorry.
(Pic. M. Balderstone).
The same view as above, but in 1972. Although the street lighting had been installed the road widening had yet to be done.
(Pic. Mike Fordham).
The scene in 2010. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
Porch Farm was built in 1614. Several windows around the house were blocked-up following the Window Tax in 1696. Take note of the magnificent tower porch. This east side view was taken in 1930 when Herbert Spruce was the farmer. (Pic.Andrew Spruce).
See www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk and then search Poringland.
Grade 2 listed.
c.1910 Herbert 'Benny' Spruce with his wife Daisy and baby Vera. (Pic.P.Card).
c. 1915 Herbert and Daisy, children Herbert and Wilfred, in the farmyard. (Pic. P.Card).
Cows in the yard at Porch Farm, about 1925. With the animals is Herbert 'Finnie' Burrows.
(Pic. Anne Barber ).
Herbert "Benny" Spruce pictured in 1950 with one of the farm horses. Herbert died in 1954. (Pic.Glen Taylor).
Benny's wife Daisy. (Pic Diane Spruce).
This picture showing the barn and Porch Farm was taken in 1968. The barn was partially demolished in July 1975 when the farm house was renovated. During the renovation work a half cellar and priest hole were uncovered. (Pic.John Hindle).
Further refurbishment 1990.
(Pic. Diane Spruce).
Porch Farm in the winter 1987. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
Waiting at Porch Farm gate for other members of The Cycle Club is Secretary John Howlett. Summer 1938. (Pic.Doreen Howlett).
Mrs. Annie Dicks, seen here with daughter Molly, lived in the cottage opposite The Post Office and Forge. The cottage, known affectionately as Mrs. Simmonds Cottage, was demolished in the 1972 (Pic. John Hindle).
Looking into Shotesham Road showing the Shop and Church Farm.Eva Critoph ran the shop and P.O. (later Alfred Wick). Joseph Critoph kept Church Farm. This was in 1944 and shows a member of U.S.A.F. talking to the locals.
Note the road classification A144 - down graded in the mid 60's. (Pic.Terry Spruce).
Gathering outside the Church porch in 1965 are these members of the Young Wives group.
Back Row L-R;- Mrs. Evans, Violet Pye, Muriel Dye, Gladys Spalding, Morag Spruce, Rev. Evans,
Kitty Wythe, Nell Harvey, Peggy Emms, Norma Wick, Betty Gooch, Marjorie Pitcher.
Front Row L-R;- Valerie Dye, Catherine Harvey, Gillian Fawcett, Shirley Fawcett, Susan Spalding ,
Alison Fawcett, Alan Wick, Rachael Mutton, Helen Mutton, Marion Pulford, Mary Pitcher.
(Pic. Peter Harvey).
Another gathering at the Church porch. Pictured celebrating the Millenium are;-
L-R;- Monica Fawcett, Ann Howman, Nell Harvey, Muriel Dye , Pauline Reeve,
Peggy Emms and Sylvia Hardesty. (Pic. Peter Harvey).
The Shop c.1950, and then the Post Office, when Mr. A. Wick was the owner. (Pic.Norma Wick).
Below, the scene 2014. (Pic. R. Gooderham).
Mr. Wick eventually moved the Post Office to a site opposite and it is shown here in 1986 when Chris Lambert was the sub-postmaster. (Pic.Mike Fordham).
1990 and the next owners changed the livery again. (Pic. Mike Fordham).
Another change in August 2011. (Pic.R. Gooderham).
Yet another change into - Estate Agents, Florists and Clothing.
December 2012. The Post Office is closed.
(Pic. Richard Gooderham ).
The Post Office opens in 2013, on a temporary basis, in the Octagon.