Poringland‎ > ‎

Carr Lane

 
 
 
The Poringland Oak. Painting by John Crome c.1819 and thought to be near the pond in Carr Lane. (Pic. The Tate).
 
 
 
 
     
   
      
   
 
                                                                                                               The painting as depicted on a cigarette card in 1927.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Possibly 'Cromes Oak' as seen in 1964. Utting's Farm is in the background centre of the picture. 

The building on the right is the chapel. (Pic.EDP).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

                 

















The Street end of Carr Lane ,looking east, in the winter of 1978.                  The Street end of Carr Lane , looking west,            
             Adrian ,Claire and Ann Fordham out sledging.                                      in 1980.  Testing out their cycles are
                                    (Pic. Mike Fordham).                                                Cynthia Penn with sons Stephen and Marcus.        
                                                                                                                                          ( Pic. R. Gooderham).


 
 

Ted Andrews, coal merchant, lived opposite
the Chapel. Seen here at Thorpe Station, 1998.






 
  
 
 
 
 The chapel in2011. Well Spring Free Church now run as a charity shop and coffee shop supporting children in Kenya. 
Services are now held in the Poringland Community Centre.
The land was given to the chapel in the 1960's by Mr.Ernie Brookes of Uttings Farm (now 112 The Street). 
This replaced the Chapel in Rectory Lane on the corner of St. Marys Road.
(Pic. Mike Fordham).
                                                             
                          

           Mr.& Mrs. Ernie Brookes.

                                                                                                                            
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




December 2015 and the chapel is closed
pending a planning application.
 (Pic. R.Gooderham)









 
 
 


 
 
 






                                                  The Coffee Shop 2015. Helpers Karen and Ann busy behind the counter.





 
 
 
Carr Lane in 1954, near the now numbered 71 where Mr. John Parsley kept his pigs.
 
Winnie Parsley and son Paul, keep an eye on the sow with her litter. 
 

         This area in Feb. 2017.  (Pic. R.Gooderham)
 










 
   





1960, looking up Carr Lane towards Dormer House. This area was known locally as the 'Cramp' ,and, off picture to the left was a redundant gravel pit and  boggy wooded areas. Now filled and cleared.  (Pic. John Hindle).










                
         
 
 At the far end of Carr Lane,adjoining Shotesham Road, were the remaining "Prefabs". Pictured here is No.77 during the summer/winter of 1998. These properties were renumbered in January 1972 and its original number was 92 prior to this date.  (Pic. Dennis Buck). 
 
 



The last remaining 'Prefab' in Carr Lane . 
This was bricked up and remains on its original site.
                       (Pic. Mike Fordham ).






   

















                                         Overgrown gateways and footpath leading to the old 'prefab' site. (Pic.Mike Fordham).2014



 

                                                   CARR LANE -- A QUIET RURAL RETREAT           

           



 
 
 
 
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
These pictures were taken between June 2009 and April 2010 showing the rural aspects of the area.
                                                                                                                       (Pic's. R. Gooderham).
 
 
 
 This was the view from Carr Lane, looking north, in 2008. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
Kemps Farm bungalow was the lone property on most of Carr Lane until engulfed by the developers.
(Pic. R.Gooderham).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

 
 
 
Hedges removed and replaced by a brick wall in front of Kemp's Farm bungalow, Nov 2011.
(Pic. Roger Bear ).
 
 
 
 
 


 
 


 
 
 
 
The junction of Carr Lane and Dormer House, another isolated farm. Feb.2011
(Pic.R.Gooderham).
 
 
 
 
 
 
         Winter scene Jan 2008. (pic. Mike Fordham).


 
 
The same junction ,as above, but in June 2011. 
 
(Pic. R.Gooderham).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
                                                                     















      Dormer House and the new Lagoon at the above junction.On the extreme left of the aerial pictures below. (Pic's Mike Fordham).


 
 
 
This aerial picture was taken in March 2010.
 
(Pic's. copyright Mike Page).

 This picture was taken in April 2014
 
 
         
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  An archeological dig commences on a future part of the site. May 2011.  
       (Pic.Ray Fawkes).
 




Further investigation during  June 2013 revealed minor Roman activity.  
                                    
 




 
 





 

 
Aerial view of the 'dig' site showing the pattern of the trenches that were explored. 
There were no significant findings. May 2011.
(Pic. copyright Mike Page ).

                                                 
 
 
    As can be seen from these aerial shots
this development embraces Shotesham Road.
         For views from that angle see                                                                                  March  2013 and further investigation is carried out by NPS on behalf
                 Shotesham Road.                                                                                                       of the County Archaeologist. (Pic. copyright Mike Page ). 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Wide angle view across
the site. 
 (Pic. Mike Fordham).
 
 
 
 
 
                                                       The next six pictures all taken in December 2015. (Pic's. R.Gooderham).











































 





Feb 2016. (Pic.R.Gooderham).


















 
 
 
 
                                                                                  February 2017  .  (Pic's R.Gooderham).