Known as 40 Acre House,also Plantation Cottage.
This cottage was situated in the plantation between the water towers and Pigot Lane.
This was the cottage, in old accounts, that had a light in the window to guide travellers across the heath and stood until well after the 2nd. World War.
Look for the bed of snowdrops behind the water towers in the early spring to determine the location.
Barry Hardesty is seen here at the door in the 1950's. (Pic.Barry Hardesty).
The old gate to the cottage. April 2017
Entrance to the quarters of RAF Stoke Holy Cross in 1949.
One small building and water tanks are all that remain in 2011.
See also RAF Stoke Holy Cross.
Service personnel, from R.A.F. Stoke Holy Cross, relax on a day out at Whitlingham, in 1945.
(Pic. Derek Bales).
L-R;- Cpl G.McRoberts, Cpl D.Green, Cpl.P, Devlin. Off duty Carl King. On guard Cpl. Grahame Mc.Roberts.
Frederick Elliott, right, from Birmingham, seen with two RAF regular servicemen (Radar Engineers) whom he worked with in 1949 in the Long Road Camp. Names not known but the chap on the left was a brilliant footballer and the other a brilliant cricketer.
(Pics. copyright F.Elliott).
'On Parade' 1949. Taken at the main entrance, looking into the camp, from Long Road.
The occasion was the visit by Sir John Slessor carrying out an AOC (Air Officer Commanding) Inspection.
Frederick Elliott is nearest the camera on the left. RAF Station Adjutant in middle.
The guardhouse to the right side of the picture , the motor transport building and the billets to the left.
(Pic. copyright F.Elliott).
The entrance May 2013.
Frederick Elliott, with two RAF drivers 1949. (Pic. copyright F.Elliott).
Fred Elliott, right, with Titch Livingston (cricket bat) and the camp medic with the mug.
Titch Livingston in the middle, Fred Elliott on left and Wilf Manning on the right.
'Scottie', a real character, is climbing the tree.(pic's Copyright F. Elliott).
Inside the camp before demolition c. 1954 (Pic.Derek Bales).
All that remains of the camp May 2013. (Pic. Richard Gooderham).
The first and second entrances to the camp site Feb 2015. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
John Hindle pointing out the names on a tree near the camp.
He and Victor Clarke had carved their names during the spring of 1940.
(Pic. John Hindle).
This picture 2016.
( Pic. Mike Betts).
The development progresses into 40 Acre Plantation on the left down Long Road.
Panoramic view looking north.
Below looking west. Below looking east.
The groundworks begin in November 2016. The new entrance onto Long Road.
Panoramic view of site April 2017.
Long Road at the junction with Spur Lane in 1920. Another of the Chapman's Series postcards. (pic.Eric Noble).
The scene in January 2012. (Pic.Richard Gooderham).
See also the entry The Chase.
Just in Spur Lane,off Long Road, are the gate houses to 'The Chase'.
August 2011. (Pic.Mike Fordham).
Left , Henry and Honour Davey lived in the right hand gatehouse, and above
May and Reuben play outside c.1920. Below newspaper report on son George, involved in accident
in Poringland Street on 24th. December 1925. (Pic's Pam Smy)
1941, and these three sisters, evacuees from London,
spent time in the cottages.
L-R;- Nellie Carrigan, Mary Laming (nee Carrigan) and Ria Carrigan.
(Pic. John Eels).
Spur Lane,as it was in 1982. (Pic.John Henson).
Spur Lane in 1955. (Pic. David Cordy).
Spur Lane,off Long Road,on the 18th.October 1987.
The aftermath of the hurricane which left the Forty Acre plantation devastated.
Suddenly there was light! This area used to be a "black tunnel", until the trees were flattened.
Rejuvenated by November 2016.
Alstons Meadow - at the bottom of Long Road - a unique building, but not as old as you might think.
Newspaper report of the building of Alstons Meadow dated September 12th.1938. (Pic.E.D.P.).
Picture's of construction process. (Pic.E.D.P.).
The completed house as it stands today (2009).
This view taken from Long Road.(Pic.Richard Gooderham).
This view taken from Hall Road. (Pic's. Richard Gooderham).
Below the scene taken from the same spot April 2017.
Progress ?? The development of the site commences in 2010 with the demolition of the house pending.
(Pic. Jane Goodyear).
Surrounded , the scene in June 2011. (Pic. R.Gooderham).
GONE . January 2012 and the house has been demolished.(Pic. R.Gooderham ).
Now called Summer Close.
Framingham Earl >